From April 2016, all workers aged 25 and over are legally entitled to at least £7.20 per hour. The current National Minimum Wage for those under the age of 25 will continue to apply.
The NLW will apply to the following:
- most workers and agency workers
- casual labourers
- apprentices who are aged 25 and over and who have completed their first year of apprenticeship.
As an employer, if you haven’t already, you need to take the following steps:
1. Check you know who is eligible in your organisation by their employment status. You can do this by following the link on the government’s employment status page: https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/overview.
2. Inform your payroll department or payroll provider with the new rates and who is eligible from April 2016.
3. Inform your employees about their new rate of pay.
4. Check your employees are earning at least the right rate of the National Minimum Wage. https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage/who-gets-the-minimum-wage.